The forloopowerri organisers would agree more that one of the best feelings in the world is when you set to achieve a particular goal and you accomplish it.
The heartland forloop maiden edition was a success after having over 200 people in attendance with 90% being student and policymakers and stakeholders making up for the other 10%. It was fire and there was something for everyone to learn.
In case you missed it, here’s the summary of what went down.
At 9 AM, registrations and seating began in earnest and 10 AM, the event kicked off properly with the host danitto welcoming everyone.
A 10minutes networking session followed which attendees introduced themselves before Emeka Ehinze organiser for forloop Asaba took to the stage to enlighten us about forloop Africa and what it entails.
In his presentation, Emeka who also happens to be a popular human being emphasizes on how forloop became the largest independent developers network in Africa with the aim to bring the next billion internet users from Africa, all within 3years.
One of the things that makes a Tech ecosystem functional is its quality of developers, how reliable and strong they are with the code. It was clear that forloop Owerri is staunchly in favour of this criteria, hence the theme for it’s gathering “The Code Factor”.
Forloop maiden editions mostly focuses on getting developers and tech enthusiasts together, like a foundation for building a community but forloop Owerri happens to be more technical as it structures around software development with live practical sessions.
Topics handled by speakers who had something to share with the audience were around the context of the theme. Problems faced by software developers as a beginner or professional were examined and discussed.
Wisdom Arerosuoghene started his keynote with a live training session on HTML and CSS for beginners, then further to discussing the modern tools for frontend development.
“if you want to learn coding, learn the language the computer understands. Practice and get better at it”
The frontend design and structure are very important part of product designing as it’s the way users get to use and connect with your product. Don’t make it shitty.
All work and no play makes a developer a dull person, as danitto and Emeka Ehinze came back on stage with kahoot, an amazing game that allows you play QnA with friends in real time.
The audience received Fire and evangelism from Lawrence Agbani software engineer at Konga, in his presentation on microservices and service-oriented architecture. Giving in-depth explanations on methods of developing software applications as a suite of independently deployable modular services in which each service runs a unique process and communicates through well-defined mechanisms to serve a business goal.
He further states that developers should know how their codes work and not just copying codes from StackOverflow and pasting it.
A break had to be observed as the audience were in the spirit and on fire, thanks to Lawrence who’s keynote was a bombshell.
After the break it was time for in-house speakers to share resource and tips on various topics. Canice nugmah spoke on digital design, design thinking, typography and colour usage. Ugonna eronini on content development, Search engine optimisation and digital marketing. With live demos and illustrations, EbukaEzeh showed everyone how Africa’stalking is unlocking the potential of mobile communication networks across Africa by simplifying the process and technologies required exploit them.
One big problem many developers face is how to go big, how to be world class and move from zero to hero. Joshua Josh, developer evangelist came to the rescue. With slides and demos, Joshua made it clear that to go big, one has to contribute to community and open source, build products, and have a portfolio.
He encouraged developers to be open for collaborations as he talked about version control a tool that allows developers to work together on a project.
Developers were opportuned to talk to the audience about their dev tool, A developer (ebuka Ezeh) came forward then pitch pinocode. A free chrome extension work environment for offline frontend development. It supports more than 10 frontend frameworks and external libraries.
Q & A sessions
The speakers accompanied with business developers and startups founders were given seats at the stage for a questions and answers sessions to clarify the audience on topics they weren’t clear with.
Forloop Owerri had a large number of turn ups than expected, everyone had a good time networking, sharing ideas and learning new things.
Even with little to no support from the government, Owerri youths keeps pushing its boundaries to have a functional tech ecosystem. We encourage everyone to keep contributing and making impact no matter how small to the development of the community.
PS: if we miss anything, add via the comment box.